Monday, February 7, 2011

Mini Apple Pies

I'm a really big fan of pies.  The problem is that it would sit at my house until my roommate ate it all ourselves.  It's too much of a hassle to give pieces of pie away.  I had this brilliant idea of making mini pies so that I could share them!

First I took one granny smith apple and peeled the skin off. The first time I made these I cut the apple chunks too big and it was hard to get very many in the pies and after they had baked the filling was pretty sad looking inside.  Make sure that the apple chunks are tiny! The more you can get to fit in the pies the better!  Put the apple chunks into a mixing bowl I then mixed in 1/4 cup of both brown sugar and regular sugar.  I added about 2 tablespoons flour maybe a tiny bit less (I was revising a recipe I had found).  Then lastly add a 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.  Stir all of these ingredients around until the apple pieces are completely covered.

For the dough I just used a pillsbury premade pie crust. I actually tried a generic brand too, but everyone agreed that the pillsbury crust was better.  I laid the pie crust on a cutting board and rolled it out to be a little thinner.  The crust was a little too thick without rolling it out.  I had to experiment with different cups that could cut out the right size circle shape. Try a few cups or round objects so you get a nice circle of dough that can fit in the mini cupcake pan.

After I put all of the dough circles into the pan I generously filled them with the apple filling.  The apples shrink so don't worry about them overflowing too much.  I actually put a tiny dollop of butter on top of the apple filling before I put on the pie top.  For the top of the pie you can do any sort of design with the extra pie dough.  I decided to be fancy and create a woven top (which took forever).  I spent probably 45 minutes making the tops of these pies (luckily lord of the rings was on.)


With the oven at 350 degrees bake them for about 15-20 minutes or until the edges are brown.  Take them out, let them cool and serve with some vanilla ice cream!


Ingredients
1 Granny Smith apple
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Pie crust
Butter (optional, but it makes it extra tastey!)

No comments:

Post a Comment