Sunday, December 26, 2010

Turkey Burgers

Alright so my favorite food is definitely a big juicy cheeseburger, however, eating a big patty of ground beef is not exactly the most nutritious meal.  At first I was little iffy about turkey burgers, but after a few trial rounds I have decided that I legitimately like turkey burgers. So my roommate and have become huge turkey burger fans over the past year.  They are super quick to make and super easy.  Now ofcourse with burgers you have to have fries so I decided to mix it up a little bit and make sweet potato fries...which are actually made from yams and not sweet potatos, which is kinda strange, but oh well.

Ok so to start my burgers I got 1 pound of turkey and put into a large mixing bowl.  In the bowl I added about a teaspoon of garlic powder, onion power, red pepper, salt, and pepper.  It is a little hard to season your burgers since you can't really taste them before you cook them.  I usually just wing and put in as much as I feel.  You can't really go wrong unless you really over do the seasoning.  After mixing the seasoning in I take out about 1/2 -1 cup size balls of turkey.  I put the turkey on a cutting board and just molded them into patties.  If you have a mold to make the shape of the burgers that's fine, but I just free hand it and end up with some imperfections. After I form the patty I tend to sprinkle a little more seasoning on the top.
When I cook the burgers I usually use my George Forman grill, which works really well because it cooks the patty on both sides.  When I made these I wasn't at my house so I made them on a frying pan.  I sprayed the pan with some oil, put the patties and let them cook 3-5 minutes on each sides on medium heat.  Make sure you check the center to see it is cooked all the way through.  After the burgers were cooked through I put a slice of mild cheddar cheese on top to melt. I took a sandwich thin toasted it put the patty and melted cheese on top, put some ketchup, lettuce, sliced tomato and avocado on it and it was ready to eat!

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper (I pt a little more than that)
1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2-1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1/2-1 teaspoon pepper 
Cooking oil spray
1 avocado
1 tomato
Ketchup
Lettuce
Cheese slices
Wheat Sandwich Thins (you can use regular burger buns, but these are just so good and less carbs!)

The sweet potato fries proved to be a little more difficult...
Ok so I bought two yams washed and peeled them.  After they were peeled I started cutting them into french fry sized pieces.  Well yams are really hard like a carrot...except four times as thick, so it was pretty difficult to cut both yams up. (I read somewhere that you can boil the yams first and then cut them, which sounds a little easier).  After I got all of the yam cut up I put it on a cookie sheet and I just sprayed it with canola oil.  You can put olive oil on it as well, but its important that they don't get completely soaked with the oil because they will become soggy.  I then salted the yams pretty generously.  I preheated the oven to 400 and put the yams in for about 18 minutes before I took them out, salted them, and flipped them over.  I put them in for another fifteen minutes and they were pretty much done.  I found that the thicker slices were a little soggy while the thinner pieces were nice a crispy.  I added a little more salt before I served them.  While they didn't come out perfectly, they were still pretty darn yummy.

Ingredients
2 yams
Olive oil/Canola oil
Salt

1 comment:

  1. Really delicious! That was so healthy and filling, i love the sweet potatoes, makes up for greased up fries. Can't wait to try more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete